Tuesday, January 29, 2019

middle school and the enneagram

immersed in the enneagram
finding my number
figuring yours out
I see numbers in my head
paths to finding our way home
and wonder where I got lost
where did my son lose his freedom
to be wild and carefree
sometimes I see a 4 in him
other times I see a 1
or is he a 3?
but only he will know with time
what number is his
to help him find his way back home
to the true essence of himself
middle school is not the time
to know who you are
so lost in the sea of insecurity
not realizing all are lost
no one knows the way to swim
but each looking to the right and left
comparing and being robbed
of who they really are
it grieves my heart to watch
as my son seems to get more and more lost
I want to rescue him from the edge
but really even I get lost too
and this journey is not straight
nor clear
it takes time to discover who we are
to find that we are lost
and then to be courageous enough to find help
a path to make our way home
so that we can be who we really are
and stop hiding behind our mask
because really for so long
we don't even realize the mask is not who we are
it seems so closely tied to ourselves
that it gets mistaken for our true identity
we nurture it for so long
it tells us who we are
and we listen
to wake up one day
and discover it's not true
but a distortion of our true self
can be harsh
to slumber may seem easier
and yet more energy output to tend
to a masked self
oh to be free
our deepest longing
and yet veiled from our sight
until one day we dare to look
and find that who we are
was always waiting to be discovered

No comments:

Post a Comment